Snarkiness is part of my personality. It’s part of who I am. I am generally a very positive, happy, optimistic person and I try as hard as I can to be kind and fair. Some days, like yesterday, I’m less successful at that than others. That’s okay. It’s all about the balance and, while I do believe in compassion and grace, I also believe in Satya and sometimes the truth needs to be said.
When I’m feeling extra snarky, a yoga practice always helps me. The bending, the stretching, the breath, the focus, the devotion — it all just seems to pull everything out of the snark and into the light. There are days, however, when an asana practice is not a possibility and I need to rely on the one thing that costs nothing, can be done anywhere, at any time, as often as needed. I can actively practice gratitude.
Gratitude is a wonderful thing. It’s easy and once you get going, it’s impossible to be stuck in a negative place. Not only that, but once you get going, it’s nearly impossible to stop! Go ahead, try it. Try it right now. No matter how gnarly your day is, I promise you can come up with something for which you are grateful. If you’re having a hard time getting started, may I present to you the brilliant Louis CK.
Surely that little bit of realism sparked some ideas! For what are YOU grateful today? Make a list. Here’s my “in the spur of the moment / stream of consciousness writing” list I’m making up right this second.
- The internet. Seriously, we all take this for granted, but if you’re as old as I am (or older,) you remember life LONG before this amazing space gadget that connects us all together. Amazing stuff.
- Raspberries. These perfectly beautiful tasty bits of foodstuff are just happy all by themselves.
- Avocados. See Raspberries.
- Air conditioning. It’s an oven out there and it’s not in here.
- Dogs. They’re loud and hairy and smelly. They’re also loyal and kind and compassionate and silly and wonderful and funny and protective and cuddly and amazing in every possible way.
- Friends. Even if you don’t have any friends right now (I’m grasping,) you certainly have had friends at some point in your life and, wow, aren’t they grand?
- Sunlight. There are people who never see the sun. Be grateful you are not one of those people.
- Awesome Earrings.
- Getting said awesome earrings on sale.
- Having something exciting to which to wear said earrings.
- Did I mention the earrings?
- Twitter – A great way to connect with folks and it’s hard to be an asshat 140 characters at a time.
- Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. The very first band I loved. I might have been a toddler Muppet groupie.
I could go on and on, but I was just setting an example. It’s a good thing to be grateful. It’s a good thing to actively practice gratitude. It’s a good thing to list all those things that make you feel grateful. What’s even better, however, is sharing that with the world. Humans can spread gratitude just as easily as they can spread hate. Choose today and share the goodness.
Tell me, what are you grateful for?