My gig is the greatest gig on earth. I am absolutely convinced of this. I get to connect with people. I get to move bodies and spirits. I get to play music and play .. period. I am blessed beyond measure to be a yoga teacher. My students are my primary blessing. People are amazing, folks. REALLY amazing. What a gift to be able to share moments with each one of you! Folks crying in Savasana, folks laughing in delight in Sirsasana, folks healing in Eka Pada Rajakapotasana … I am blessed to be a witness to it all.
Because you have trusted me with so much, I will be open to you.
- I can’t dance. Okay, well, I can dance, I just cannot dance well. That doesn’t stop me, however, so watch out.
- Bikes confuse me. I get them, I understand how cool they can be, and I could probably ride one if my life depended on it. Maybe even if a concert ticket depended on it. Honestly, however, I prefer my own feet.
- I don’t love my own body. I’m trying, I’m working on it, but I’m a work in progress.
- I love the idea of Vira 3. I do not love the practice of Vira 3.
- I get my right and left confused. Side effect of mirroring classes.
- I cuss. A lot.
- I was a minister’s daughter. This caused me a lot of pain and angst and a personal midlife crisis when I was 17 (being a preacher’s kid ages you more than a 4 pack a day habit. Trust me on this.) It took a long time for me to feel comfortable with my own idea of spirituality. Now that I have it and am fiercely grounded in it, I get to create a safe place for folks to explore their own beliefs. I think this makes my mother in law think I’m going to hell. That whole “Yoga is Demonic” bullsh*t that is going on is kind of right up her ally. You might think that this causes huge problems. It doesn’t. At All. We agree to disagree and have deep respect for our own right to have our own beliefs. If I can do that with my mother in law, SURELY the world can do that with total strangers. Take note, folks.
- I like heavy metal, some rap, and Kid Rock. I also like YoYo Ma, opera, Miles Davis, and Neil Diamond.
- I admit it – I like tv. Sorry.
- I’m a dog person. If stranded on an icy mountain with my husband and my dog, I’d eat my husband first.
- I cry at Silent Night, A Sesame Street Christmas, John Lennon’s “Imagine,” the book “My Hippy Grandmother” and the final episode of “M*A*S*H”
- I am powerless over the draw of a tattooed man on a Harley-Davidson. SWOON! Interestingly enough, my best friend and life partner, my husband, has neither a Harley NOR any tattoos and I wouldn’t change it or him for anything in the world.
- I color over the unbelievable amount of grey in my hair. I’m 34.
- If I could, I’d be tattooed stem to stern.
- Sometimes I think I learn more than I could ever hope to teach.
- I’m blessed, I’m lucky, I’m in love with humanity. I’m alive. I’m grateful. I’m present. I’m a yogi.